Friday, March 27, 2009

These things I know for sure... about Chicago

1. The temperature in any given day may fluctuate anywhere between 20 and 30 degrees. They don't call it the windy city for nothing.

2. Forget Starbucks... Argo Tea = love

3. The red line and the 146 bus, are my new favorite forms of transportation

4. If you don't own a North Face jacket you may as well go home.

5. Michigan Avenue is way more fun than old navy or outlets ;)

6. Thanks to my cousin (and former resident of Chi-town), my new favorite website is the CTA trip planner

7. Don't worry... my mom made a crafty little emergency contact list with phone numbers of her and my dad for my co-workers and my room mates. Gotta love protective parents ;)

8. Oprah and I will not become BFF's. She does not eat in any of the normal restaurants or walk on the streets to catch the bus... that's right... she's a billionaire, silly me. AND her show doesn't even come on until 11:00pm... what the heck?!

9. It is exactly 9 blocks to my neighborhood grocery store, and 9 blocks back. That should be fun next winter.

10. There are only two blocks and one large park between me and the beach. Lake Michigan is more like an ocean, waves and all... I have not been brave enough to bundle up and get anywhere near that icy cold water.

11. Sales tax in Chicago is over 10.25%... that's enough to make a girl want to quit shopping. Well, maybe not.

12. There IS Chipotle in Chicago... yay!!!

13. Spring does not really start until May.

14. The Gym that I joined, FFC is like a fricken resort. I get a permanent locker, they will wash and fold my gym clothes, they have a hot yoga studio, and for your convenience and pleasure there is an in-house day spa. If that doesn't make you want to go to the gym, I don't know what does.

15. DO NOT ever take the Green Line bus, for fear you might get shot... and that's no joke. Luckily I didn't have to find out the hard way

Oh, and the last thing I know for sure so far, is that tomorrow it's going to be snowing. After talking to my friend in California who is wearing flip flops this evening, I am sure snow seams unreal to all of you.


By popular demand... Here are a few pictures of my house. Enjoy!



Third floor loft area

Second Floor loft area (right outside my bedroom)


My bedroom


Kitchen

living room


3 comments:

Kim Stewart said...

very cute list! your place is gorgeous too!

mommyspice said...

oh Amy, I am so proud of you! And I'm so thrilled that you are sharing all of your experiences with us. Your post brought back such vivid memories for me...sobbing (And I mean sobing, the "ugly cry" as Oprah calls it) as I left my parents house for the airport, bound for Chicago...the realization of what a good nest my family had provided for me to allow me to fly as high and far as I wanted. Looking forward to more posts from Amy in the City! love ya!!!

Marc and Stacy said...

Amy-I'm so excited for you! This is all going to be so great for you! :) I'm excited to keep up on this blog and live the "in the city life" vicariously through your words and pics! :)

Post a Comment