Saturday, March 28, 2009

First Snow

So... my room mates are currently gone to Indiana to watch Michigan state basketball at the NCAA Sweet Sixteen. Having the whole house to myself for my first weekend in Chicago, was turning out to be a little too quiet for me and so I decided to pull out the map and venture to a cool neighborhood a little south of where I live, Lincoln Park. The weather man said there was a chance of snow today and tomorrow, but the sun was shining when I woke up, so I figured why not?!

It was especially brisk as I headed to the bus stop and although I invested in the warmest North Face jacket on the market, I failed to get a hat or gloves... (live and learn). A few strong gusts of wind, and a bus transfer or two later, I had arrived. I walked through the neighborhood, window shopped, had some lunch. I met up with a guy who befriended me over the phone during the early stages of looking for a place to live. He pointed out all the most important restaurants, bars and shopping in Lincoln Park, and then we took the train to Wrigleyville to have a drink. Time flew by, and then next thing I knew it was 9:00 and time to get home. I decided that instead of spending my money on a cab ride, which would have been the "Smart" thing to do, I would brave up and take the bus home. After two transfers, I jumped off at the stop close to my neighborhood grocery store, which I think I mentioned in a previous post is 9 blocks from home. I thought I may as well walk and be economical... it was only sprinkling, and everyone walks in the dark around here. A few minutes pass of me walking along, and quite suddenly the sprinkling turns into real rain, and then soon after... a torrential downpour whipping against my face and literally SOAKING my jeans.

It eventually let up a bit, and soon as I watched my feet so to avoid the weather in my face (remember NO HAT, no umbrella) I begin to see dust of white... that's right, SNOW. I should have known, and frankly I kind of deserved it. Here I am, some dumb girl from California, thinking that I was invincible and that the weather man in Chicago didn't know what he was talking about. Let's just say next time, I'll spring for the extra $2.50 bus ride that brings me to my door, and I will never doubt a forecast of a chance of snow again. Although it was so cool to see it snowing, next time I'll make sure to enjoy it from my window.


BTW: I considered taking pictures, and then I quickly reconsidered.

3 comments:

mommyspice said...

ok buddy, I guess I didn't make this clear...You HAVE to have every type of weather accessory - in Chicago scarves are not just cute fashion statements but a matter of life and death ; ) Seriously, go get some real scarves, gloves, umbrellas, hats, socks, etc....like a bus headed south, the weather is NO JOKE! love ya, hang in there!
p.s. isn't Lincoln Park wonderful, ugh, missing it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy. I'm so glad you are doing this. I was sad I didn't get to say goodbye, so it was fun to get your email with this link. I love it. I hope this is the right area to send you messages. I'm new to this kind of stuff : ) Love you Amy and am so excited for you. Good luck settling in to your new home, neighborhood, city and state!!! Sounds like quite a difference already.

Jodi
uh-oh! I'm in trouble already. Its asking me to choose a profile...I'll choose the first one and see what happens.

ANT said...

This is going to be some funny reading...keep up the good writing.

Post a Comment